Friday, September 5, 2008

I want to be a missionary NOW!

On the way home from school on Fridays I stop at Maverik and get the boys an Icee. Today we started picking up Riley, a friend of Sam's. We all headed to Maverik for the weekly treat. There are usually two flavors, and most of the time one of those is off limits because it is made with Coke, or something else with caffeine in it. Now, don't get me wrong. Mark and I are not fanatics, we have our caffeine once in a while, but for the most part we avoid it, and we don't let the boys have it. So, when I got inside I found there was a blue Icee, made with some type of energy drink, and a red Icee made with good 'ole Minute Maid. Naturally I made four red Icees and gracefully carried them out to the car. When Sam asked me what colors (flavors) they had, I told them blue and red, but the blue was made with a drink that had things like caffeine in it. Riley said, "I drink caffeine". And that did it. Sam promptly began telling him that caffeine makes you ornery if you drink it, and if you drink too much of it "you'll be ornery all day". (Maybe Sam has secretly been drinking caffeine behind my back:) Riley told Sam that he is never ornery all day. Then Sam said, "Riley, will you please stop drinking caffeine? It isn't good for you." (Note the missionary commitment pattern :) I said, "Sam, people get to choose for themselves, Riley and his family drink caffeine, and that's okay." Later when I went to pick Sam up after playing at Riley's house, Riley's Mom said, "So, I guess Riley has committed to stop drinking caffeine." I started laughing and told her all about the Maverik trip. She said she thinks Sam will make a great missionary. Boy, is she right! Sam is very persistent, and when he believes something is right, there is no backing down. What a kid!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Please don't tell Sam about my love for all caffeiated pop. I don't really want to be persuaded to stop right now, and I know he won't let me live it down!! What a kid.

Kristin said...

I love your big family picture at the top of your blog. Isn't it funny how some people only make boys and others only make girls?!? Although we did get one boy in there. Lots of fun either way.

And sounds like you do have an excellent future missionary there. Anytime you want to bring the family out here for free lodging, with some free meals too, you are more than welcome. And we can be sure to stop by Wrigley while you're in town. Keep it in mind. We expect to be here for years to come.