Thursday, September 4, 2008

If at first you don't succeed....if at second you don't...if at third...

I just finished reading cousin Kim's blog, and can I just say, I am VERY impressed!! She has "lunch lessons" she sends with her kids' home lunches and she has a chore chart that includes kind words and secret somethings (secret acts of service). I have an oh-so-cute chore chart/magnet board that I had made up with little vinyl pictures of each chore and a magnet with matching pictures that the boys can put over the picture when they have completed their chore. Believe me, it is a chore for me to remember to remind them to do their chores, and half the time they do them and forget to put the magnet on, which isn't the point anyway, it's just that we started out with the board so that the could earn money, only a quarter a job people-when I was growing up it was a dime! So essentially if they had all the magnets on the board at the end of the day I would calculate what they had earned that day and at they end of the week they would get paid. Well, Mark and I had the discussion about how kids shouldn't be paid for things they need to do because they are part of the family, etc. etc. So, we came up with other jobs, ie. take the trash out, and Saturday jobs, that aren't paid for. Whatever. They don't get paid for anything now, because of the whole remembering to remind. But, they DO do most of their jobs, all be it with a little complaining. And piano practice...it took us 1.5 years, and finally Dodger D will practice most of the time without complaining. As for the lunch lessons, my kids refuse to take home lunches...any ideas for school lunch?

If at first you don't succeed.....

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Okay, I just went to your cousins blog to read first hand. . . and let me just say, I am also VERY impressed! I just love reading other mom blogs to get wonderful ideas on parenting! We have tried the chore chart thing off and on and our kids STILL only get a dime per chore! (I guess we're cheap, but how much money do a 4- and 7-year-old need anyway?) And it usually goes by the wayside because I also have trouble remembering to remind. Leevi still complains almost every time about practicing the piano. But he's only been playing for one year and he's doing so well, I hate to let him give up. We will keep at it and hopefully he will do it without complaining! Thanks for all the great ideas, I think I'll give the lunch lessons a try.

Kim and company said...

Okay cute chickies, you are too nice...I don't give money for the chores (Oh no, my kids are into reading blogs lately...they may demand recompense!) Our theory is we are all a team, and mom is not a maid! But we try to do all our chore M-F so on Saturday we can play! Also, if my kiddos do their charts M-Th--then Friday they only have to do: Chore, Piano and Scriptures--and we have a Friday afternoon party---often movie and popcorn or games & M&Ms! I am all about incentives--all work and no play is dull for everyone ya know!

Deanna said...

Hi Amy,

I was "blog surfing" and came across your blog! I just started a blog for our family last week. (I am so stubborn!) Anyway, it was fun to see your family!

Deanna Larsen
livinglarsen.blogspot.com

How funny... I have the same backround paper on my blog!