I am following in Carrie's footsteps and posting a little ditty about General Conference. We are at a time in our lives when we have taken several steps of faith into the darkness and are learning as we wait for the light to illuminate the path ahead. I was praying that something would be said to help me feel okay about everything, and wouldn't you know it, it was President Monson's talk. I know there is a lot of joy to be found in my journey, although at times it seems to be well hidden. I loved what he said about stress. He said it will always come into our lives, but we can't forget the things that are really important. We live in a wild house; me being clean, but cluttered, and our four boys being, well, boys- things are never very calm. Add a little stress, and things can get down right crazy. I KNOW I will miss the messes and the noise, but it is something I have to remind myself of on a daily basis. I so appreciated the reminder to enjoy what is going on now. I don't want to look back and regret focusing too much on the little stuff, I want to focus on the eternal, big stuff.
I am so blessed to have a nine year old who can't, I mean literally, can't wait to serve a mission. We talk about it often. "I just don't think I can wait 10 years, mom." We talk about being a missionary now, but he wants to get out there in the world.
I am so blessed to have a nearly seven year old who is the extreme in every way. He can show love and excitement like no one I have ever known. There is no guessing, he wears it all on his sleeve. He fights for the right, and wants justice-even when it may be to his disadvantage.
I am so blessed to have a two year old who is the definition of the little child the Savior talks about in the scriptures: Meek, mild, patient, full of love and long suffering, obedient, and kind.
And I'm so blessed to have an eight month old who has the most beautiful eyes, and a feisty little personality that fills our home with happiness.
Someday they will be teenagers who want nothing to do with me, so I hope I truly can find the joy in the journey and enjoy every minute of every day...even if I've heard "Mooommmm" 50 billion times by the time my head hits the pillow.
6 comments:
Those ARE some spunky boys you have there, Aim! But they're sweet and they're good boys. They're lucky to have a fun-loving mom like you. Oh- and I can't quit laughing about Devin's argument on why he shouldn't have to keep his room clean: "Mom, I'm a BOY. Boys are messy. There's scientific evidence. Just DEAL with it!"
MAN, he's full of it :)
Keep your chin up cute girl! I know we will desperately miss these days! Today I went to the Library, and a little darling hunched over gray hair lady said to me as I was struggling to keep my children within 10 ft of me (and carry a bajillion books.) "You are a very lucky lady" Most people say "my, you have your hands full"---but I say "Happily Full!" And I told that little cutie---you are so right---I AM lucky! We are lucky, expecially because we have a eternal perspective to enjoy it! Yahoo moms! Keep up the good work!
I needed that talk too! And actually, you are that example for me when it comes to enjoying life and kids. You always have great idea for FHE & make the holidays fun!
I agree, you do a great job letting your kids be themselves. Being creative takes time, energy, and is usually messy, but you don't worry about that and your kids are VERY creative. :) I keep reminding myself too, that I'm going to miss this. I know I am. Sometimes I just wish I could ONLY be a mom and leave the less fun stuff (like laundry) to someone else. :)
Great post, Aim. Your kids are all wonderful and amazing people, and although they each came with their own distinct and sometimes challenging spirit, you and Mark are to be commended on your excellent patient guidance. Best of all, you have taught your boys to love and respect each other. I'm sure there are moments that you wonder, but I can really see it. And I think with the kind of relationship you and Mark have with the boys, they will still want you around when they're teenagers. To me, that was the most fun time of motherhood.
I'm thankful that early on in motherhood I was struck by a Relief Society lesson that taught us to live so that we would have no regrets when our children were grown. The housework will always be there (it will never be "done" no matter how long you work at it), but kids are only kids for a little while. So take them to the park, or sledding, or kite-flying, or just sit down and read a story every now and then!
By the way, I have happy memories of my days as a mother of young kids, but I don't actually desperately miss those days. I have only a few regrets - like not being home when Chris needed his shirt ironed for the homecoming dance... I hope he'll forgive me some day:)
Talk about regret- I felt like a complete dunce when Chris asked ME to iron the shirt, and I didn't know how!!! After that I made dad teach me. Stacie, thanks for still marrying Chris even though his shirt for the homecoming dance may not have had perfect creases. You're a gem.
Post a Comment