Sunday, June 6, 2010

Facing our Mortality=Gratitude for Eternity

I have had a lot on my mind lately...and considering there's not much room up there, I have been overflowing with emotions lately. I am constantly thinking about Travis and Mandy, and all that they are going through. It is amazing to see T at family get-togethers, and to hear him deflect comments away from himself and encourage people to focus on someone else. But, it is difficult to see him in so much pain, and not know what to do to help their family. I have also been thinking about my Dad quite a bit lately. He has had some issues with his heart and has had several stints put in. My Dad has always been a hero to me. He is someone who loves the Lord-not only through words, but through action. Finally, on Thursday I took Drue in for her 6 month check up, and Dr. Kramer had me take her to get an x-ray because for the past three visits she has had a crackling in her lungs. He mentioned Asthma, and the possibility of aspiration, but then he had to throw out the words Cystic Fibrosis. Instantly my mind started flipping through all the diseases I had ever heard of to figure out if I knew exactly what that was. I'm not one to overreact or jump to conclusions, but I couldn't help but imagine my sweet little Drue not being able to breath and having to pound on her back to break up the gunk in her lungs. In the middle of that thought I thought about eternity and what our Savior did for us to allow us to return to live with him, together, as families. I am so thankful for this knowledge. Each of us must leave this earth life eventually, and I know there is more life to come, more time to spend with the ones we love. Death is not the end, just the beginning of something new.

Drue's x-rays came back with some suspicious spots, but Dr. Kramer felt that it's most likely Asthma or aspiration. So, we're giving her breathing treatments everyday, and she'll go back in next week for another check-up. I know everything will work out the way it's supposed to, and I'm so thankful that my parents and siblings have the gospel and that we can look forward to an eternity together.

7 comments:

Shan said...

I am sorry that your family is going through so much right now! That is hard to have so much going on. I hope little Drue next check up is fine. She is so sweet and precious! Prayer goes a long way..we will be praying for ya!

Colett's Corner said...

Amy.....thanks for such a thoughtful post. When I think of Travis and Mandy I am grateful for the trials I have. I will say a little prayer for your darling baby. I have asthma and was so terrified my kids would. Kyler ended up having some problems but they don't seem too severe at the moment. We do breathing treatments and it is under control. Hope you have a wonderful summer. Our life is looking up. We might even get a house : )

Carrie said...

AMEN to that! You pretty much said it all. So grateful for eternal families!
I didn't know any of that was going on with Drue...scary! We'll add her to the list ;) hope everything turns out okay.

Sarah said...

Amy, I just want to let you know that I am so sorry you and your family are going through all of this. Life is so hard sometimes, but it helps to know that love and support are there when we need it. Please use me, if you need! I would love to watch your kids for Dr. appointments or if you need to help your Sis. I need to serve and would love to do it for you! I know you probably won't ever call me, but if you are ever in a pinch, I hope my name will come first. My boys love to play with yours....so send them on over. I will keep you in my prayers for all you're going through. I know all too well, the little tug of fear that comes when your children are being tested for things. Please know I'm thinking of you. Hope you have peace and comfort at this time. You are very loved and well admired by many because of this very post. You have such a positive outlook on many things! Thanks for the example!

Haley said...

When it rains it pours, and our family is pouring with medical ailments lately. Sorry to hear about Drue. Mom said she is a cute dainty girl. Can't wait to meet her.

The Ravsten's said...

Thanks for your testimony and I'm so sorry to hear about Travis. What a struggle. There's been too much cancer in my life over the past six months, friend and parent, and I'm sure you feel the same. My prayers are with your family tonight. Hang in there. Emily Anderson-Ravsten

Holly said...

Amy - My oldest son, Jeremiah, was born with neonatal pneumonia and had asthma for several years. He has outgrown his asthma though. No treatments for two or three years now. I sure hope that Drue only has asthma and not something more serious. Know that sometimes very young children with asthma out grow it. I hope your dad is okay. Love you cousin!