Yesterday Devin proceeded to tell me that one of his friends buckled to peer pressure and got on the internet during their computer class-but, that's not the worst of it. The three "friends" talked the boy into looking up some inappropriate pictures. Devin said that his friend told him about it later that day, and Devin went and told his teacher what had happened. He said the boys were upset with him for telling on them and that they had to go to the principal's office and their parents were called.
I am in shock, but I guess I shouldn't be. Devin is in third grade! Luckily, we have had all the talks about sex, drugs, and pornography. I know some people would be surprised that he, and Sam for that matter, already know all about that stuff, but when something like this happens, I'm glad they know the truth about everything and that they know when to talk to an adult. Mark works with so many teens who are addicted to pornography. It is just like a drug, and just as hard, if not harder, to get off of. It is so stinking sad that we have to worry about kids being exposed to this stuff at such a young age.
Why do they have the internet on computers used by elementary students, anyway????? Why aren't there filters, or only certain sites they can visit????? Crazy. I am hoping to talk to Devin's teacher about all this today.
5 comments:
Wow! I would definitely be talking to the school about their internet access! I am surprised they even are able to surf the internet and find those sites! I'm glad Devin did what was right even though it must have been hard. I think he may have some pretty great parents. :)
Good for Devin! That would take a lot of courage. I can't believe that they wouldn't have filters either?!
Yikes. 3rd Grade??? Internet access?? That is just plain scary. Good thing Devin is such a stalwart young man :) That is really something to be proud of and must make you feel pretty good about your parenting skills so far, right?!
And people still ask me why I homeschool!!
Wow I don't like the sound of that. Way to teach ahead of time and EXCELLENT that he stood up for the right---just like Moroni! Cool!
Post a Comment