Friday, February 27, 2009

The Tale of a Bad, Bad Mom

Once upon a time in a place not so far away, there lived a Mom, who despite all her efforts, never seemed to get things right. Her third grader's teacher called one evening to tell her that her 9 year old son would be getting an award for the school read-a-thon, and that she was invited to come to an assembly the following morning. This doting mother was thrilled, and awoke early to make sure she got in a much needed shower. She also took the time to carefully apply colored hairspray in her 9 and 7 year olds' hair since they had both reached their reading goals for the read-a-thon. She arranged to have her 3 year old play at a neighbor's house, and then took her 1 year old with her to the school. She arrived right on time and sat in the back. She could see the backs of both of her sons' heads and watched as the top three readers (most minutes read) and top three "donation getters" (it is the school's only fund-raiser)from each grade were give an certificate and a medal. When the VP got to the third graders she announced that the 9 year old had received first place for getting the most donations. The mother watched as her son walked up and received his award to clapping and cheering. She continually looked at the back of her 7 year old's head, hoping he would look back and see her, but alas, he never did. She managed to get her 9 year old's attention and was able to take him out in the hall for a photo while the assembly continued in the cafeteria. Her one year old then proceeded to pitch a fit, so she hurriedly left the premises.

At 1:15 she went back to the school to pick up her boys, and her 7 year old began crying, telling her that she was a bad, stupid mom for not saying hi to him at the assembly. She had no idea that he had been trying to get her attention, and never could. Horror filled her heart as she realized that his teacher would have listened to his crying and complaining that his mother didn't say hi to him for the rest of the day. Alas, the mom drove home, feeling very bad, and very stupid. All the efforts of the day seemingly wasted.

Five minutes after they arrived home, the seven year old said, "I'm sorry Mom." Guilt washed over her, again. "I'm the one who is sorry." she said, giving him a hug.

She walked away shaking her head and wondering aloud, will this ever get easier? Knowing full well the answer to that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I just say that my wife is the Most caring, kind, compassionate, loving, wonderful, Hot, beautiful, interested(more then just commited), charitable, genuine, lovable, smart, Hot, and the Best example, friend, Mom, leader, wife, anyone could ever ask for.
Amy is a pillar of strength with Moroni like faith. She is everything to me and my boy's. We are truely blessed.

Mark

Megan said...

I feel your pain. I enjoyed your tale and have a son here at my house that thinks I am the worst cook around and thinks most meals I make are "gross". Unless I am serving hot dogs. Then I am wonderful.

Looks like you have a very supportive and loving hubby who knows how wonderful you are. :)

Stacie said...

Oh Sambo! It's nice that he still wants you to say Hi! And Mark you are a gem!:)

Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that the tale is not a true one! :) I thought you were going to say the mom missed the assembly or showed up on the wrong day or something. See, it definitely could have been worse!

Carrie said...

I know the story wasn't supposed to be funny, but I did get a little chuckle. Only because I could just picture Sam saying that to you, then feeling sooooo bad afterwards. Like Mandra, I thought you were going to say that you totally missed the whole thing. And just be glad that Sam still WANTS to give a shout out to his mom...that really says something.

Kim and company said...

Fear not---children have short memories, Tomorrow you'll be a super--hero!
Love, a Mean Mom!

Shell Bell said...

Amy I know you are the furthest thing from a bad mom that I can imagine. I actually would like to take a lesson from you on how to be a great mom.