Thursday, April 23, 2009
It Had to Happen
I should have known that sooner or later I would get a phone call from the school saying that one of my boys had been sent to the Principal's office. I was laying on the couch with Ty, fighting off nausea, when the call came. It was Devin. I could tell something had happened because he could barely speak, and refused to talk to me about it on the phone. All he said was, "I had to go to the Principal's office". All the way to the school I was trying to imagine what had happened. Devin is not usually one to get in trouble, but he has a bit of a smart mouth, which gets him in trouble a lot at home. When I got to the office, Devin wasn't there, but Mrs. Caldwell, the principal, told me what had happened, and she seemed surprised that Devin had called me. She said that some of the 3rd graders, including Devin and Sawyer (a boy who has a tendency to rub Devin the wrong way), were playing baseball at recess. When the bell rang Devin's team was ahead by one point, but Sawyer wanted one last pitch. He hit it, giving his team the win..I guess...anyway. Mrs. Caldwell said that Sawyer followed Devin into the school bragging about his hit, and the win. And then Devin punched Sawyer in the stomach. I was pretty surprised at that, but Mrs. Caldwell said she talked with both the boys, and they seemed to be okay. But, obviously, Devin wasn't. When I talked to Dev, he said he had told Sawyer to "shut-up" a few times, but when he wouldn't he "sucker-punched him in the gut". After the boys went back to class the kids couldn't stop talking about it, and Devin was so embarrassed that he wanted to come home. I talked to him on the way home and told him that he had made the choice to hit someone, so he would have to face everyone talking at school. I let him eat two PB&H sandwiches and then I took him back. Chalk this one up to a good learning experience...I hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow, good job, Mom. I think it is great you made him go back and face the music, so to speak.
Woo Hoo! Good job, Dev! I mean, mom! :) I'm not saying what he did was right, but you know. I threw a few sucker punches back in the day. It's for the sake of justice, really. Hope everyone recovers allright.
A point for the boy!!! Sounds like he's kind of a bully and someone FINALLY shut him up!!! I'm all about fairness:) Principals offices are great places to be!!!
I'm sorry, but I had a little chuckle reading this. It's just that I can totally picture Devin saying, "Dude, SHUT UP!!!" and then just snapping after the third or fourth time. He's still an awesome kid, and I'm sure that kid will think twice about giving him crap again. And good job making him face the consequences. Hearing that stuff makes me happy that Peyters is still 2 and I have total control (okay, who am I kidding) over her world!!
oh boy......I know Sawyer ALL TOO WELL!!! Garrett is having issues with him too! And he's not very sweet to my little Ty!! I don't know what's going on....cause he hasn't usually acted this way to my kids....something must be up! I have to admit....I laughed and then my heart kinda cheered for Devin!! (Don't tell Garrett or Devin I said that!) There's been times when he has been over here that I'd like to do the same! Maybe I should talk with you in private about this....rather than in such a public forum....but just wanted you to know this was a very good read! Thanks for the smile!!! And....nice touch with the 2 PBJ's!!
Wow, that's a good old-fashioned story from "Leave It To Beaver". Blissfully free from the current issues in the schools of sexual harrassment, drug use, weapons, etc. Devin only did what boys have been doing for generations! And I'd be next in line to sucker-punch this kid at recess!!!
Thanks for all of your comments. You made me feel better about the whole situation. I wondered if I was wrong to be a little happy that Devin stuck up for himself...or course, I would rather he hadn't punched him. Maybe a good shove would have been sufficient? :)
Your great AMY!
Post a Comment