Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I know I'm a parent because....


"When I was a kid..."

My ear drum exploded because I didn't blow my nose and kept sniffing the snot up. (true story)

We didn't say "No" to our parents for fear of having our faces slapped!

We didn't have cell phones, DVD players, iPods, video cameras, flat screen TVs, digital cameras, computers, etc. We had to carry around a quarter in case we needed to call our parents. (And you will, too because over my dead body are you EVER having a cell phone!)

We had chores we did every day.

We NEVER back-talked! (okay, maybe not NEVER)

We knew what real fashion was! (Leg warmers, pegged jeans, neon colors, big hair) ;)

Boys NEVER wore girls' jeans!! And they never let their undies show!!

We snapped peas, husked corn, pitted cherries, and made newspaper logs!!

We believed in Santa until we were 12. (Okay, slight exaggeration)

We played cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, jacks, marbles, hopscotch, double dutch.

We played outside ALL DAY in the summer. No sitting in front of the TV-unless of course it was for The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Solid Gold, or Charlie's Angles. Oh, and Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, and the A-Team.

We didn't need our parents to entertain us.

We always told our parents where we were going and when we'd be home.

We typed our homework on good old-fashioned type writers.

We knew how to write letters by hand.

We could carry on a conversation face-to-face.


Ah, the good old days. Sheesh. I'm getting old!!

5 comments:

Galloping Grandparents (GG) said...

Yup.....you ARE getting older....and wiser...

Carrie said...

Oh, no. We NEVER back-talked our parents. Okay. Maybe once. But after a good ol' fashioned face-whoopin', I was cured. Nothin' but meek and mild after that!
I still remember you pegging my pants when I was in kindergarten...and me complaining that it was cutting the circulation off from my ankles. Ah, the price of fashion!!! I was the hottest kindergartener EVER!

Anonymous said...

Well, shucks. All this time I thought your ear drum exploded because Mrs. Francis yelled too much. Learn somethin' new every day. :) Have you noticed jelly bracelets are back in? So crazy.

Colett's Corner said...

I think your kids are going to have to carry around a DOLLAR pretty soon to make a phone call.....maybe you can teach them to call collect. : ) Times have changed.

Kristin said...

Love this post!

And yes, the jelly bracelets are in (ALL the rage here) but today's bracelets are actual shapes! Way cooler than what we had.

Yet who can feel underprivileged? I did have jelly shoes, and the calluses to prove it. :)