Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It all comes out in the end

So the colonoscopy went well. The prep was, like Mom said, worse than the actual procedure. I kept thinking, if I throw this stuff up, I have to try to gag it down again!!! Amazingly, I survived a water/Sprite/laxitive diet, working, going to the bathroom every five minutes, and taking care of the kiddos last night, without Mark!!! Let's see him try that!!

We went in this morning, they put some happy juice in an IV and I was out. Next thing I know I hear the nurse telling someone that they had removed two polyps. Wow, I am definitly glad I had it done!!! I don't remember a thing, and I don't think I have slept that well in a long time:). Mark took the day off, so I came home and slept for a few more hours, and now I feel great. So, Mandy, Chris, Carrie, Haley...age 35 is the time to have it done!! Ten years prior to the closest relative (Mom) who had polyps. Mom was 45. I guess the doctor tests the polyps and will send a letter saying they were benign, and I go in again in three years. If they find more, I go in in three more years, if not, five. So, being the oldest, I have undergone the crappy (no pun intended) first, so that all of you may follow my lead...;) Here's to a happy ENDing....

4 comments:

Karla and Mike said...

I did the responsible thing and had my first scope 3 years ago. Since I was "clean", so to speak, but have the family history, I am on the 5 year plan. Back for another in 2 years. Oh joy. I am hoping before too long they have the non-invasive tests perfected so we don't have to go through this anymore. But the scope is preferable to letting cancer go undetected until it is bad. I also encourage all of you to do the right thing and get scoped at the appropriate time. It should not be too bad for the women in the family.... after childbirth you have no dignity left anyway, right?
Karla

Carrie said...

Wow. Nice job Aim! I'm glad you've blazed the trail for us. You ARE very responsible. I'm thinking we need to all get mammograms too. I'm gonna start at 30. Can't be too careful with our family history!

Angie said...

Agreed on last night. It was fun & we should do it once a month! I must mention the very educational post. Let's try and talk Judy into starting a blog so she can tell us every detail of her rearoscopy. Then again, maybe not. Your's makes it sound like something everyone could do. Poor Dev, he once dreamed of growing older and getting his driver's license, hanging out with friends, going to college, etc..but now growing up just means he's gonna have to get a camera shoved up areas they don't belong.

Haley said...

I am glad that you had your check up! That could have been worse than it needed to be if you wouldn't have went. I'll look to you for inspiration in 11 years when I go!