
Mark worked the dreaded 5pm-1am shift last night. The boys and I were eating popcorn and watching Tarzan (at Ty's request). I got up to switch the laundry and came back to hear Ty talking about his nose. At first I thought he just needed to blow it, but then I put two and two together and looked up his nose to see a popcorn kernel! It was right there, so I pushed on the side of his nose and it popped right out. Then I proceed to check the other nostril, and see another one! Same
procedure. Okay, no harm done. All is well. WELL, luckily I looked in both nostrils and saw TWO MORE!!! It took a little more coaxing, but I got those two out as well. There couldn't be anymore, could there? I checked, and sure
enough! Two more!! They were a ways back, and I wasn't sure what to do, so I did what all good moms do, I called my mommy. She calmly suggested I try saline spray to wash them down, and then a bulb
syringe to pull them down until I could get to them. Meantime, Noah is screaming and Sam is going into exaustive detail about something or other. I got Noah in his bouncy seat with a bottle propped, and I told Sam that now was not a good time for Mom to be listening because there were kernels to be extricated. Mom's plan worked fairly quickly on the right side- about 10 minutes- but the left one wouldn't come out. That's when I called Mark. Anyone want to guess what he suggested?? Prayer. Now why didn't I think of that!!! We knelt down, and I was about to pray when Ty started, "Heavenly Father, bless my nose, seed, no infection, no doctor...." So, cute!! After the prayer it seriously took me only about 1 minute to get the kernel out!
Sheesh! I was exhausted! Now, thank heavens it was Ty who had stuck kernels up his nose and not Sam. Sam would not have calmly sat on the couch while I knelt in front of him sticking
syringes, saline and
tweezers up his nose!!!! Just another day in the life...
So, you would think the story would end there, right? WRONG. This morning Mark was getting ready to leave for work when he decided to look in Ty's nose with a flashlight. Yes, people, there was ANOTHER kernel!!!!!! Four up the left nostril, three up the right. I swear that kid! This one was really up there and we thought we might be making yet another trip to the ER. But, thankfully Ty suddenly got the hang of blowing his nose, and he blew it right out on to his lap. Gross, but so beautiful!!! I let out an audible sigh.
5 comments:
It amazes me how quickly a little kid can get into so much trouble in so little time. You feel like you have to be always watching for the next trick. I'm glad you were able to take care of it yourself. I have heard horror stories of kids having their sinuses cleaned out at the hospital. One kid I knew of tore open the seam on his stuffed bear and jammed the stuffing up both nostrils. According to his mom, that was a REAL ordeal at the ER.
I just love reading these blogs. It's like, "Can you top this?"
Karla
that is hillarious! so glad it all came out okay! :) What is it about nostrils? I thought reese must have had a bloody nose yesterday, she had red around her nostril. then I witnessed her putting a Mike&Ike in her nostril. Nice.
Poor Ty-Ty! That is a lot of Kernals for a little nose. Those holes are very tempting. I remember sticking a rock up my nose and mom getting it out with the tweezers.
Who would think popcorn up the nose could be a testimony-building experience? Wait till they tell that one in primary!
Okay---that truly made me laugh out loud, which I appreciate! The last kernal with the flashligh---hilarious! I also am glad that I am not alone in this fun, crazy, exhilarating adventure called mommyhood!
Post a Comment