Saturday, November 1, 2008

Thank You

Every year on the day after Halloween I just feel the need to move on. You know how after Christmas most people leave up the decorations until New Years Day or so, I like to do that, but for some reason once Halloween is over I want to move on. I really love Thanksgiving, and some of the things I am most thankful for are the people in my life. Isn't it funny how life throws you all kinds of challenges, some big, some just inconvenient, but they all have a way of making you feel even more grateful for what you do have. I didn't want to wait until the end of the month to express all the gratitude I feel, so I decided to do it today and hopefully be more thankful this year then I have been in the past.

I have THE best husband in the entire world. I won't get too sappy, but he is honestly and truly my best friend. We can talk about anything and everything, and there is no one I would rather spend time with.

I have THE best boys. I always pictured myself as a girl mom, until I had a couple boys, and then four, and now I wouldn't change it for the world. They are all healthy and happy-most of the time :), and I am so thankful!

I have three wonderful sisters and one wonderful brother. None of them are very sentimental, so I will try to spare them the sap. But, they need to know how much I love and appreciate them, and their spouses.

Mandy and Travis have been through so much this year, and they have been such an example of strength, unity, gratitude, patience....I could go on and on. They will always be two of my heroes.

Chris and Stacie are the ideal parents, the ideal couple, and the ideal members of the church. They are so good with their kids, always trying to do their best. They are always serving others and never seem to put themselves first.

Carrie and KC are so fun, and so much alike. I am amazed that two people who are so alike found each other. I admire their good attitudes through all the ups and downs of life. You couldn't find two kinder, funner people in the world.

Haley and Michael are so adventurous and goal-driven. I am so thankful for their example of following their own path and doing what they know is right for them without worrying what others think. They are great examples to everyone.

I have the best parents in the world. They have supported me in everything I ever wanted to do in life, and sat back and prayed, I'm sure, when I wasn't doing quite what they would have hoped. I never remember them "getting on my case" they would just tell me that they knew that I knew what was right, and then expected me to make the right choice. They are wonderful grandparents who show interest in all their grandchildren. It is still my goal to be more like them.

I have great in-laws who love our kids so much and are willing to watch them often so that Mark and I can go out once a week. They are great to spend time with and talk to, and I am so grateful that the raised such a wonderful son.

I have been blessed with wonderful friends in this life. People I am sure I knew in the pre-earth life. They are people who teach me to be positive and faithful through it all. Amanda Jones is one of those people. She and her family have seen major struggles with health and finances, but she never loses faith. She is always willing to give of what ever she has to help others, even when she needs help herself.

Dawn Houskeeper is also a good friend, and my across the street neighbor. She and her family have been through open heart surgeries, lay-offs, and more, yet she always has a positive attitude. She makes the best of every situation and can always find something to be happy about. It is great living near someone like that. She helps me look at life the way I should-enjoy today no matter what is going on.

I often wonder what I did to deserve so many good people in my life. I must have done something right, because when I think of everyone who has influenced my life, I am overwhelmed at how blessed I am.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow! Thanks for that! I'm glad you still like me even though I've got a heart of stone. Just because I cry bi-annually....there must be some feelings in there somewhere!:) I feel lucky to have such a great oldest sister. You're always doing things to get the family together, and you're so fun! No one throws a party like you.

Anonymous said...

Boy do we have you fooled! That was a very nice post thank you. In addition to being a great party thrower, you are a fantastic older sister and a nice example of enjoying the doing, not just getting it done.

Chris

Mamma K. said...

We're thankful for you, Amy, and for Mark and the kids. You were always the perfect oldest child - a great example to the others. You and Mark are terrific parents as evidenced by the way your spirited boys are growing up to be such fine, sensitive, caring, and honorable individuals. You continue to do things right!

Shari said...

Will you please help me, my blog looks like crap next to yours! I loved reading your uplifting thankful section it made my day.
Devin's reflections looked awesome!
I would love to donate a watch
let me know when you need it.
xoxo Shari

Haley said...

That is nice of you! I am glad you think we are adventerous and not crazy! I love to come to your house when I am there and chat with you and Mark. You make being a mother of 4 boys look fun and enjoyable. I won't say it's easy cause I think I'd be dreaming. Sometimes I think that I am just not the dinner making, domestic type person, but then I think of you and your domestic-ness and am inspired.

Down in the Sun said...

What a great post! Your family is so cute! I love all those boys! I'm sure that you will always be their biggest cheerleader! I love seeing what everyone is up to! I am going to show Granny your blogs when I see her next week.