Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lucky Number 13!!



Thirteen years ago today Mark and I were married in the Bountiful Temple! I really can't believe it's been 13 years~in some ways it seems like longer, probably because we were friends and dated for five years before that. We met at Clearfield High in 1990, and boy did I have the wrong first impression of him! He was drop dead gorgeous-not much has changed :)- and a friend of mine had asked him to Sadies. He took forever to answer her, and she was a little bugged. So, I assumed he was a snot. He was quiet, and I never saw him say much to anyone, so I took that as being snotty, too. Well, a few weeks later he called me and asked me out. He says it was the first time he had called someone he didn't know. We went to the 49th Street Galleria, which dates us because it was later called the Fun Dome, and no longer exists! He was the perfect gentleman, so polite and kind. That's when I realized I had judged him all wrong!
Our first school dance was the Christmas Dance, and although we joke that getting married in December was crazy, I love it because December is when we started dating, and when we got married, so it makes the month even more special to me.


I also love the fact that Mark and I served missions at the same time. That was a great experience. He encouraged me to go, and although he may have had alterior motives :), I know he wanted me to have the wonderful experiences he was having. It was such a blessing to be able to write each other and share our ups and downs during that time. Mark returned home six months before I did, and I like to tell people that he waited for me! I got home in July of 1995, we were engaged a month later, and married four months after that.
The day we were married it was frigid, but sunny. It made for really beautiful wedding pictures! It was one of the happiest days of my life, and marrying Mark was by far the best decision I have ever made. He is still my very best friend, and I feel like the luckiest girl on the planet!
Happy 13th Markus! I Love ya!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that marrying Amy is the single most important decision that I have ever made in my life. She is my best friend and I love her more then words can say. Happy anniversary.

Mark

P.S. My wife is Hot!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

Happy anniversary indeed! Hope #13 is a great one. I remember the day well- I was going through a very homely stage at the time- junior high will do that to a gal. I remember how freezing cold it was. But I also remember that after that day I decided I wanted to get married in the Bountiful Temple just like you two!
Hope you've had a great day.

Haley said...

I also remember that day. I was the collector of the presents and the reception. I thought you guys were such a good looking couple! You still are of course. The whole dating 5 years kind of messes me up too. you've been together as long as I can remember!

Mamma K. said...

You didn't mention that your paths crossed even before 1990, and he was in one of our home movies when he was in the 9th grade. It amazes me that every one of my children were blessed to meet up with and marry the perfect person for them. And now you all continue to work hard to keep those marriages and families strong. I have the best sons-in-law and daughter-in-law ever!

Stacie said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are a great couple and I love being apart of your family! Amy- You are the spitting image of Haley from high school in that Christmas dance picture!

Deanna said...

Congrats you guys! I can't believe it has been 13 years.

Kim and company said...

Wow, I loved hearing about your years, mission and dating! How delightful! Congratualations to truly a great couple! Keep up your happy work!

Patti said...

Congrats!! And btw, you both have MUCH better hair now than in 1990. :-)

Deanna said...

We had them taken by Amanda Laing. She did an amazing job! It was really fun and she took like a million pictures, and gave us the disk with the copyright released so we can do whatever we want with them. It was very reasonable too.
http://amandalaingphotography.blogspot.com/
We are the L family on her blog. We did Adam's whole side of the family with her.

Kristin said...

Happy anniversary! How fun to hear your story.