
K- so I'm a day late...what else is new? Yesterday was Mandy's birthday, and alas, she is still two years younger then I am, and always in better physical condition.
This is a song that will always remind me of her. We used to jump around our room to this song. It was popular when I was 15 or 16 and then came back when she were a senior, I think. Anyway, it's a great one! In fact, music was a big part of our lives, like that Christopher Cross song that would come on EVERY night right when we went to bed.."sailing, takes me away to where I'm always..." I still get the chills when I hear that song! We swore our radio was possessed! And the fact that Mandy hated having the radio on while we fell asleep, and I insisted on it. (sorry) And Sunshine Generation, who can forget Dad teasing Mandy saying that she looked like someone had a gun to her back while she performed.
I couldn't have asked for a better sister to grow up with. Mandy and I shared a room for our entire lives-until I went off to college. And I have to say, that was the best preparation for college roommates and mission companions :). We did fight over clothes, among other things, but it was never anything too serious. And I know none of you will believe this, but I used to be the clean one!! You can ask her...Anyway, Mandy was always the athletic one, and I envied her drive and abilities. She was a very loyal friend, and a loving sister. I'm afraid out of the two of us, I was the snotty teenager who told her younger siblings to "get the heck out of my room!". (I think I've since been forgiven)We loved to lay in bed and talk. Those talks lasted late into the night and early morning when we would come home from college at the same time. We could talk about anything and everything.
Mandy has always had a lot of friends, and she was and is a wonderful example in every aspect of life. In fact, I'm fairly sure she is really "older" then I am. She has always been the one teaching me.
I love that we are only two years apart and have some priceless photos together that I'm sure someone could use to black-mail one or both of us. Scary!
Don't hate us because we're beautiful!!! :) This photo is circa 1989, what do you expect????

This is one of my favorite photos, Mandy and I with Grandpa Keime.

Happy Birthday Mandy!! I Love ya!
P.S. Mandy, doesn't that top photo bring all kinds of weird memories back...the planter hanging in the background and that photo of the Polar Bear...even that brown chair we are sitting in. It's kinda freaky!
5 comments:
Oh, MY. That 80's hair is awesome. That really takes me back. I can still see you in the bathroom perfecting your wings. Hold out the side with the brush, spray, then blow-dry for that long-lasting effect. I remember when Haley and I used to lay on the floor between your beds and jump up and scare the crap out of you and Mandy when you'd walk in. MY, I was annoying, wasn't I. I HAVE however forgiven you for snubbing me as a child. ANYway, happy birthday Mandy, you truly are a gem of the ocean.
Oh my good grief! The entire thing gives me a creepy feeling (and I hear "sailing" in the background). Thanks for not posting any pictures of my awkward stages or anything. HA! I guess the "gun to my head" look comes naturally. WHY, oh WHY did you let me go out looking like that????
Thanks for the b-day post. You're one totally awesome sister.
Such good memories! Happy birthday Mandy! And Mandy those are my same thoughts when I see old pictures of myself, "why did anyone let me out of the house" of course I pretty much think that about pictures from last week too!
That was a great post. I haven't seen those pictures for a long time. Hey - whatever happened to that polar bear poster? Several times I wished I had a copy of it. The caption said "Act enthusiastic and you'll be enthusiastic!"
Awww Amy that was a great tribute to Mandy! And in that pic with your Grandpa Keime you looked just like the old pictures of your mom at that age!!
Post a Comment